Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Yields: 6 servings
One of my favorite desserts to make in the summertime.
- 1 cup dry azuki beans
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3½ cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, add azuki beans, ⅓ cup of sugar, lemon juice and water. Bring mixture to a boil and allow to boil uncovered for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until beans are tender. (the beans and liquid should amount to 3 cups. If you have less, add more water).
- Using a sieve, strain the bean mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until cold.
- In a separate saucepan, combine milk and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- While milk and cream are boiling, whisk together the egg yolks and ⅔ cup of sugar in a medium bowl.
- Once the cream and milk come to a boil, ladle ¼ cup of hot liquid into the bowl containing egg yolks. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the pan with the cream, and cook over low heat until mixture is almost too thick to stir. Do not allow mixture to overcook as this will lead to lumps. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until cold.
- Once both of the mixtures are cold, stir them together. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.