Seafood Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Citrus Sauce Edit
- 1 tsp butter
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, cut into a fine julienne
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- juice of 4 oranges
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 2 lemons
- corn starch
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp butter
- Soften shallots and ginger in 1 tsp butter and add pinch of salt. Do not brown. Add juice and bring to a boil. Do not reduce heat. Lightly thicken with cornstarch and add honey and 1 tbsp butter.
- Place yolks in a flat-bottomed dish (do not use a mixing bowl).
- Stir in water, preferably using chopsticks. If you use a fork instead of chopsticks, stir lightly. #Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the flour over the liquid and chop in most of the flour, rather than stirring it in. The object is a fairly lumpy, non-smooth batter. Continue adding more flour and repeat the chopping, pushing down action. The consistency should be of a heavy whipping cream with lumps. The quantity of flour to liquid cannot be precise. If the batter seems too heavy, add more ice water.
- Dip Shad into batter to coat with a thin film. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve with sticky rice, and citrus sauce on the side for dipping.